These range orders have been established for the Bendigo Pistol Club Inc. to ensure the health and safety of all members and individuals that use or frequent our facilities and the community at large.
Firearms Handling Rules.
Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction:
* A safe direction is down range.
* Never allow the muzzle to point in a direction whereby an accidental discharge would allow the projectile to escape from the range.
Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot:
* Firearm must be above 45 degree position before the finger may touch the trigger.
Always keep the action open and the firearm unloaded until reaching your shooting area/position:
* Firearms or magazines must not be loaded until you have reached your shooting position.
* If shooting from a position down range, firearms must be loaded and unloaded from that position.
Know how to use the firearm safely:
* When handling firearms, all safety precautions are to be observed at all times.
Use only the correct ammunition for your firearm:
* Do not load ammunition that is above the recommended velocity for the firearm.
* If a misfire occurs, unload firearm completely and ensure that there is no obstruction in the barrel before continuing.
Wear Ear and Eye Protection:
* Ear and eye protection by way of ear muffs/plugs and safety glasses must be worn at all times while shooting or viewing shooting as a spectator.
Never use alcohol or drugs before shooting:
* It is against the law to be in possession of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Store firearms so that they are not accessible to unauthorized persons:
* Firearms must be secured when not in use and must not be left unattended.
* Recommended that a nominated person remain on the firing line to safeguard firearms when shooters go forward to check or change targets.